4x100m Relay Team Advances to Final
Friday, August 21, 2009
OTTAWA - The men's 4x100m relay team qualified for the final today at the World Championships in Athletics in Berlin, Germany. Hank Palmer of Lasalle, QC, Oluseyi Smith of Ottawa, ON, Jared Connaughton of New Haven, PEI and Bryan Barnett of Edmonton, AB finished 3rd in heat 2 running a seasonal best performance of 38.60 seconds; the final is tomorrow at 2:50pm ET.
Gary Reed of Victoria, BC will not advance to the men's 800m final. Reed finished 4th in semi final 3 running 1:45.60; top 2 in each semi final and next 2 fastest times advanced.
In the women's long jump Ruky Abdulai of Coquitlam, BC and Alice Falaiye of Brampton, ON both missed the mark to qualify for the finals. Abdulai finished 9th in group A jumping 6.45m while Alice finished 17th in group B jumping 6.09m.
Coming up this Weekend
- 5:45am ET - Men's Marathon FINAL (Reid Coolsaet, Giitah Macharia, Andrew Smith, Dylan Wykes)
- 1:30pm ET - Women's Hammer Throw FINAL (Sultana Frizell)
- 2:15pm ET - Women's 4x400m Semi Final (Esther Akinsulie, Adrienne Power, Jenna Martin, Carline Muir)
- 2:50pm ET - Men's 4x100m FINAL (Hank Palmer, Oluseyi Smith, Jared Connaughton, Bryan Barnett)
- 5:15am ET - Women's Marathon FINAL (Tara Quinn-Smith)
- *11:50am ET - Women's 4x400m FINAL
Note * - qualification required
CBC Network Telecast Schedule (Eastern Time)
Saturday August 22 1:00pm-3:00pm
Sunday August 23 12:30pm-1:30pm (Manitoba East Only)
4:00pm-5:00pm (Saskatchewan West Only)
Stay tuned to www.athletics.ca/berlin2009 for ongoing information of the 2009 World Championships.
For all media inquiries throughout the weekend including interview requests and photos please contact:
Coordinator, Public Relations and Corporate Services
T (613) 260-5580 x3332
M (613) 668-6022
Return to News